A new English (Cockney actually) phrase for all you Anglophiles

A new English (Cockney actually) phrase for all you Anglophiles

Lisa
Hi, I just stumbled across this site. I am English and live in London. I was born in East London, which I am sure you know is famous for Cockneys!

So here is a nice little new phrase for you:

"Oooooh its Taters out"

:-)

For those wondering what it means, here is the answer.

My mum and nan (grandmother) used to always say it when it was cold outside... I remember leaving my nan's house late at night after a visit and seeing our breath in the cold night air my nan and mum would say "ooooh its taters out" meaning its "really cold"

The saying comes from the cockney rhyming slang for "potatoes in the mould"

Here is a list of cockney rhyming slang.

Kindest regards

Lisa

Re: A new English (Cockney actually) phrase for all you Anglophiles

Lisa
Whooooops, forgot to attach the link

http://www.aldertons.com/english-.htm

Re: A new English (Cockney actually) phrase for all you Anglophiles

Zella
Administrator
Now, THAT was humorous, Lisa!  Thank you for posting it!

Re: A new English (Cockney actually) phrase for all you Anglophiles

Lisa
No problem :-)