An anglophile from Spain

Cristina
Zella, many thanks for this website! I love it!! I discovered I was an anglophile at the age of 12. Spandau Ballet are to blame! :) I remember myself being really bad at English at 10/11, but then I became a Spandau Ballet fan, learned all of their lyrics by heart, I loved it so much that I started learning dictionaries by heart and, in the end, I got my degree to work as an English teacher in Spain. Not happy with that, I started my English Philology studies at university, which I absolutely loved!! Unfortunately, my parents weren't too keen of their daughter traveling abroad and due to circumstances, I've just visited England once in my life... :( Hopefully I will do a massive tour over the UK someday. Now my daughters are very young, but in a few years time I must fulfil my dream!!

I remember the day I entered Westminster Abbey and put my feet on the graves of all those magnificent writters I used to read, that was an amazing experience to me! I remember myself touching the stone banisters of the Tower Bridge and thinking when would I be able to come back... I still keep some dried flowers of that amazing country.

I've always devoured any book related to the UK, I find it amazing from the Hadrian's wall to the houses that there used to exist on the London bridge, the origins of Cleopatra's needle, as well as the development of the Soho. I love learning about the ethymology of the British place names, the runes, about the Gaelic language, and even the Cockney slang! Accents all over the UK are amazing to me, have you noticed how close they are up north and how vowels become more open down south?!! The Monarchy timeline, the connections with Spain! Did you know that Elephant & Castle (in London) seems to be the derivation of Infanta de Castilla (Princess of Castille), lol!

Well, Britain is so rich that it gives way to all kind of dreams and literature. Congrats for this, honest! Love this work you're doing!!

Re: An anglophile from Spain

Zella
Administrator
Oh, Cristina, I just discovered your wonderful comments here!  I LOVE hearing other Anglophiles' stories.  You are indeed a true Anglophile.  My fingers are crossed that your dream to do a massive tour of the UK comes true!!