British Israelism

Mike
I understand that British Israelism is a new theory dating back only to the 18th century, but there was a tradition that linked the Stone of Scone to Jacob's pillow stone.

Before somebody (Richard Brothers?) came up with the idea that the lost tribes of Israel migrated to the British Isles (and brought the stone with them?), how did tradition account for it getting to Ireland (or Scotland)?

Also, why did Henry VIII and Edward VI have coronation coins with Hebrew inscriptions struck?

Did they view themselves or their subjects as somehow related to the Hebrew people?

Are there any medieval traditions that link the British people to the tribes of Israel?

Re: British Israelism

Tina
Mike: after wondering the same thing over breakfast this morning, I came to this conclusion: I have no idea!

Re: British Israelism

Zella
Mike: What a fascinating topic you present!  If you can suggest reading material about the issue for us, please do so!

Re: British Israelism

Zella
Administrator
Mike, I have to plead complete ignorance on this topic.  If you find out more information, please feel free to post and let us know!  Pretty fascinating questions.