Duke Johnson’s trade demand hasn’t changed general manager

Duke Johnson’s trade demand hasn’t changed general manager

zhangzk
BEREA http://www.seattleseahawksteamonline.com/cody-barton-jersey , Ohio (AP) — John Dorsey’s opinion of the running back.“He is a member of this organization moving forward,” Dorsey said.For the moment.Dorsey said during his pre-draft news conference Thursday that he’s in no rush to trade the versatile Johnson, whose frustration at having a reduced role last season intensified in February when the Browns signed suspended running back Kareem Hunt.Johnson’s agent, Kristin Campbell, asked the Browns to deal the 25-year-old, but Dorsey hasn’t moved on the request and indicated he’s not planning to deal one of Cleveland’s best offensive players.Dorsey said he’s had “good” discussions with Johnson’s representatives and that the former third-round pick knows how he fits in.“He understands the role that he is going to play within this offense,” Dorsey said. “That is what is important because Duke, as everybody knows, is a very talented playmaker, and I look forward to seeing him on the field on Sundays.”It remains to be seen whether that’s with the Browns — or another team. Dorsey has received trade inquiries about Johnson and they will likely increase leading up to next week’s draft.Cleveland doesn’t currently have a first-round pick after trading it to the Giants in the deal for star receiver Odell Beckham Jr. http://www.seattleseahawksteamonline.com/phil-haynes-jersey , but Johnson could sweeten a package if the Browns covet a player and want to move up from No. 49.Johnson has not attended the team’s voluntary offseason workout program, a sign of his discontent with the team. Dorsey, though, said he has not spoken with Johnson or his people about the absence.“I always expect him here,” Dorsey said. “It is voluntary so you can’t (require it). That is a part of the CBA.”Dorsey said new Browns coach Freddie Kitchens has texted with Johnson. Kitchens was Johnson’s position coach before being promoted to offensive coordinator midway through last season.Johnson’s workload dipped considerably in 2018, when he had 40 rushes and 47 receptions — both career lows — as the Browns went 7-8-1 after going winless the previous season. Johnson was used mostly on third downs as rookie Nick Chubb became the club’s primary ball carrier and ran for 996 yards.Johnson was unhappy with the lack of touches, and he became more upset when the Browns signed Hunt, the former Chiefs star who is expected to take his role after serving an eight-game NFL suspension to start next season.Dorsey was asked if Johnson had to be convinced about his role.“There are 53 guys on this football team. It is about winning,” Dorsey said. “That is the sole objective of this thing moving forward is winning football. Is he a talented football player? Yeah, he is really good http://www.tampabaybuccaneersteamonline.com/mike-edwards-jersey , and he is going to help this offense move forward.”As for Hunt, Dorsey praised his commitment since joining the Browns. Hunt was banned eight games by the league for two physical altercations, one involving him shoving and kicking a woman during an argument in a Cleveland hotel last year.“Kareem has done one heck of a job,” Dorsey said. “He has been working his fanny off in the building. I could not be happier with how hard he is working in the building. I could not be happier with how hard he is working out of the building. That is all you can ask of him. He is committed to doing the proper steps here in getting this thing moving forward.”Hunt has not been available to the media since signing a one-year contract with Cleveland. JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) — The Jacksonville Jaguars expect defensive end Yannick Ngakoue’s holdout to be relatively brief.Coach Doug Marrone said Thursday that Ngakoue “will report,” presumably in the next two weeks. According to the NFL’s collective bargaining agreement, Ngakoue must report no later than 30 days before the Sept. 8 season opener to accrue a fourth season and become an unrestricted free agent in 2020. If Ngakoue reports after the 30-day deadline, he would be a restricted free agent in 2020.Being a restricted free agent would allow the Jaguars the ability to match any team’s contract offer.“He’s trying to get this thing done,” Marrone said. “We’re trying to get this thing done. We’re excited for him. He’s going to come. He will report. I don’t know when. I know it’ll be before a certain date. And, when he comes http://www.tampabaybuccaneersteamonline.com/matt-gay-jersey , we’ll be excited about it.”A third-round draft pick from Maryland in 2016, Ngakoue is entering the fourth and final year of a $3.84 million rookie deal. He’s due to make $2.025 million this fall — far less than other top playmakers at his position.Ngakoue showed up for the start of voluntary organized team activities in May, vowed to attend the remaining dozen practices, and emphatically said he plans to play this season even if he doesn’t get a long-term contract. He bailed on teammates and coaches three days later. He also skipped a mandatory, three-day minicamp in June that drew fines totaling nearly $90,000.The 24-year-old Ngakoue has 29½ sacks and 10 forced fumbles in three seasons. He finished with 9½ sacks last year, but no strip sacks for the first time in his NFL career.He hopes to join a list of top-flight pass-rushers who have cashed in recently.Dallas’ Demarcus Lawrence and Kansas City’s Frank Clark signed five-year, $105 million contracts. Lawrence got $65 million guaranteed, and Clark received $62.3 million guaranteed.Trey Flowers signed a five-year, $90 million deal with Detroit that included $56 million guaranteed. And Dee Ford signed a five-year http://www.tennesseetitansteamonline.com/a.j.-brown-jersey , $85 million contract with San Francisco that included $45 million guaranteed.“We see what they’re getting,” Ngakoue said in May. “At the end of the day, it’s a blessing to be in that position and I’m thankful. If it comes, it comes.”Ngakoue has more sacks than Lawrence (26), Ford (25) and Flowers (21). But the Jags also landed his potential replacement in April when they drafted Kentucky standout Josh Allen with the seventh overall pick. Allen practiced Thursday for the first time in more than two months. He missed most of OTAs and minicamp following a bruised right knee.USA Today reported earlier this week that Jacksonville offered Ngakoue a deal that would have averaged $19 million annually and included $50 million guaranteed in the first two years before negotiations broke down.“It’s really part of that business what goes on,” Marrone said. “This is the business side of it. I stay out of it. I always have.”NOTES: The Jags signed veteran defensive back and Josh Robinson and first-year safety Anthony “Fish” Smithson. They filled roster spots that opened when the team placed Ngakoue on the reserve/did not report list and linebacker Telvin Smith on the reserve/retired list. … The Jaguars removed rookie running back Ryquell Armstead from the physically unable to perform list in time for the first camp practice. Armstead, a fifth-round draft pick from Temple, was placed on the PUP list following a conditioning test that turned out to include faulty readings.