Hedgehogs: Good pets?

Zella
Administrator
I have a friend who has a pet hedgehog and adores it, and I, too, am tempted to get one as a pet...but truth be told, I'm not positive it's a good idea.  All creatures, I presume, prefer to be free in nature.  On the other hand, pets tend to live longer because they aren't in the wild, subject to becoming another animal's dinner.  And I hear that hedgehogs do make fine pets...

Re: Hedgehogs: Good pets?

postrophe
Do I understand from your profile on Anglophiles United that you reside in New York City?

According to Hedgies.com:

"Some cities have laws against hedgehog ownership.
Verified "No Hedgehog" cities are: New York City" etc.

Hope you find that site useful otherwise.

Re: Hedgehogs: Good pets?

Zella
Administrator
Thank you for that critical piece of information, postrophe!  I do indeed live in NYC.  I once took an online test that determined the best pet for me--and the animal that met the highest percentage of my criteria was a hermit crab.  I've been looking for a more interesting alternative....

Re: Hedgehogs: Good pets?

TheBritophile
I am in love with hedgehogs as well! Unfortunately, I believe that they are nocturnal, and are quite finicky about how their cages must be set up. *Sigh* I guess we'll have to content ourselves with adorable pictures on the internet!
I blog at www.PictureBritain.com

Re: Hedgehogs: Good pets?

Jon Malings
You Hedgehog fanciers might like to know that all the Hedgehogs I've ever met have been covered in fleas. You also might like to read Pam Ayres sad poem "In defence of Hedgehogs"   http://www.bpoetrywriters.net/t877-in-defence-of-hedgehogs

Re: Hedgehogs: Good pets?

Zella
Administrator
There are indeed adorable pictures on the Internet!  (sigh)

Re: Hedgehogs: Good pets?

Zella
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Oh my, Jon!  That poem is fabulous.

(I just went and blogged about the poem...it was too delightful to not share!)

Re: Hedgehogs: Good pets?

Anglo Phil
I saw hedgehog bones in some woods once. . .

Re: Hedgehogs: Good pets?

Fiona
Harry The Hedgehog lived a simple but happy life, hogging hedges, much to the despair of those wanting a piece of hedge for themselves.  After a few months an urgent meeting was called to decide what to do with this thoughtless hogger of hedges.

A thousand fleas were offered in exchange for the hedge.  After musing over such a generous offer, Harry decided it was time for a change of scenery and the fleas would be good company for him.

Harry and his fleas headed for the woodlands and lived happily for a while but he kept remembering the little hedge he had given up for the fleas which did nothing except bite him.

He set out to try to find his beloved hedge but the summer proved to much for Harry and sadly he passed away before he could even leave the woods.

Harry's fleas had not suffered, they ate away at his flesh, gratefully untill only the bones were left - the very same bones you stumbled upon in the woods once.

This was Harry The Hedgehog's story.

Re: Hedgehogs: Good pets?

Zella
LOL, Fiona!  I do hope you're writing fiction; you are indeed gifted!

Re: Hedgehogs: Good pets?

Fiona
Thanks Zella!  :- )