If you love Britain so much, why did you go to war with them?

If you love Britain so much, why did you go to war with them?

Little White Boy
Canada and New Zealand didn't and they turned out to be better places.
It is very patronising and uncivil, from a country that chose to cut its ties with this one, to start brown nosing it.

Re: If you love Britain so much, why did you go to war with them?

Zella
Administrator
Dear Little White Boy....Thank you kindly for sharing your very reasoned and interesting opinion.

Re: If you love Britain so much, why did you go to war with them?

Limey
Well you certainly must be a little boy...

Re: If you love Britain so much, why did you go to war with them?

Ant French
Evening all.

I was just browsing this interesting website (yes, I'm another refugee from the BBC News article!) when I happened across this particular thread. May I try and bring a bit of reasoned closure to this otherwise short debate?

OP, what you must understand is that Britain today is very different from the Britain that the fledgling United States went to war with over two centuries ago.

A short history lesson here may help. In 1776 (and before) large numbers of American colonists found themselves being taxed by the crown without recieving any representation for their rights and interests in Westminster. Quite understandably seeing this as rather unfair, they chose to broach the question with the King himself but he didn't relent and...well, the rest really is history.

The Britain that gave rise to the United States and Britain today are totally different nations. You can probably assume affection for the crown would not be so great had it continued to exercise total political control as it did in 1776.

Times, and people, change

Re: If you love Britain so much, why did you go to war with them?

xenaphobe
Little White Boy has a  point!

Dear gentle reader: I'm afraid Little White Boy's mental capacity apparently matches his (self-proclaimed) diminutive size.  His assertion that I went to war with Britain is entirely false.  Please rest assured that I have never, ever fought against Britain; indeed, every time I have visited the fair Isle, I've been completely unarmed.

Re: If you love Britain so much, why did you go to war with them?

postrophe
We too, for the most part, like our police, are unarmed - and would rather like it to stay that way!

Re: If you love Britain so much, why did you go to war with them?

thepinkfairy
Hello all.  I am brand new to this forum but I'd like to say that I wished we had never split up!  A post was made here that the Queen unifies Britain and I think that's true.  The only time I have ever seen our United States unified in anything was directly following 9/11.  That may be a grand example though.  The UK is a totally different animal today than it was in 1776.  But if there was a vote up to rejoin, I would vote in a heartbeat!
Fae
a/k/a thepinkfairy

Re: If you love Britain so much, why did you go to war with them?

Zella
Administrator
Ohh, PinkFairy, you and I both!  Perhaps if we started a petition to rejoin, that would help?  (haha)

Re: If you love Britain so much, why did you go to war with them?

joseph
im American and that ticks me off americans don't try and brownnose brits or patronize them that's a racist stereotype and we fought against it hundreds of years ago to protect our rights to freedom just like a lot of other countries have done in third world countries and stuff against dictatorships which is what the king was at the time. we weren't fighting against the british people or their culture beliefs heritage ancestry or any of that we were fighting against the king. but my point is we should move on and be loving towards one another and be united friends of the human race and like mlk jr. said be smiling and holding hands in loving friendship as brothers and sisters and socialize with one another and spend time with each other and hang out in that way. it all happened so long ago and people just need to forget it and change their attitude and move on and not be such bigots and prejudice and. its not the same any more the world and its peoples and nations have changed so much since then and its all completely different and a better world where we can forget and be friends americans and the british are not bitter enemies or rivals or at war or fighting anymore for 300 years or whatever so everyone just needs to forget it and move on the british aren't limeys and americans aren't yanks and we haven't been for hundreds of years for gods sake an no one should let the revolutionary war or any old hurts anger them because they happened centuries ago and it wasn't them fighting it was their great great great great ancestors so I don't understand what littlewhiteboy is mad about because he never did any fighting and no one in his family ever did any fighting except maybe an ancient relative. no one ever hurt him or was mean to him my point is it wasn't our fault meaning the americans of today it was our ancestors faults we wouldn't have done that and I and most americans are ashamed of past wars of what our ancestors did sorry for the length of this post and rant but I had to get myself heard on this because its important to me and it ticked me off

I would join too because I love Britain but I disagree about us not being united we're the united states of America and we've been united as a democratic government and a republic since the signing of the declaration of independence and all the wars weve fought for our country and others all around the world since then throughout history such as uniting the world against terrorism and against hitler. and no littlewhiteboy doesn't have a point at all other than displaying his ignorance. once again no offence to any one its not personal I just had to put my voice freely out there and my opinion about all of this.

once again what the heck are you people talking about americans aren't armed and violent just some are. once again another racist stereotype us americans aren't going to try and arm the british lol and we wouldn't bring weapons there except for self defense in dangerous situations or to save our or other peoples lives or protect or help ourselves or other people. and our police are armed to protect and serve to do their job.

Re: If you love Britain so much, why did you go to war with them?

thepinkfairy
You think we are united?  In my opinion there is a huge gulf between the political parties, religious people and non-religious, straight and gay.  All sorts of great divides in our country today and they seem to just be getting worse and worse.  So yes, I stand behind my post.  We may be united in name but not in views.  But this is not a forum about American politics so I will leave it at that.
Fae
a/k/a thepinkfairy

Re: If you love Britain so much, why did you go to war with them?

joseph
I was just responding to little white boys statement I wasn't trying to argue with you :)its just that im American first and british second but I wish I had been born in England and ive got union jack blood, god save the queen!!!! and im the biggest die hard trueblood anglophile fanatic ever, in fact I agree with you :) but what I was saying is that deep down in our hearts americans are united, at least most of us and 9/11 proved that, so I stand by what I said too and we have been united more than just with 9/11 but that was one of the only times, I agree, especially in modern times, it used to be a better country and world.but I dont want to talk about politics or argue about it either not that we're arguing, just having some polite discussion and conversation and im sorry if you misunderstood me, like I said I agree with you :) I just have a slightly different more positive perspective on it and im new to this forum so give me a chance :) that's all ill say about it too, and sorry about all the smiley faces and commas lol, hit me up and we'll talk about something else for the love of god, right, lol such as my new post about peoples favorite british drinks, food, and beers if you drink beer of course. ive enjoyed talking with you:)
rule britannia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: If you love Britain so much, why did you go to war with them?

Douglas
I'm English and in response to the war of independence, it is correct , it was a war against the crown . If you was living in England in those days and an ordinary, not a wealthy individual with royal connections person , you would not of benefited from the wealth the empire produced . Like these days , money goes to money , wealth is too important to be left in the hands of the rich because the rich squander. Many poor people wanted to move the the colony's or Australia or Canada and newzealand . But they were stuck with no money and no support system in place to help . The best place to go for food shelter and pay was to join the military, land or sea . We have pride of our past , a small island that controlled large parts of the world . But look past that pride and you'll see some British soldiers joining the colonists side , a lot of people agreed with the colonists grievances with king , but they didn't have a voice as we do today . Both our nations have evolved to be better to what they were . I've none a few Americans in my life and I found them decent and down to earth , we both have our share of idiots , some of the British I hear talking are talking Bollocks .

Re: If you love Britain so much, why did you go to war with them?

Charlii
I know this tread is old, but I take great irritation at this subject because most Americans don't really understand why we went to war with England. Our education system has failed us in so many ways. The short of it is this. Our forefathers saw themselves as very good and proper English gentlemen and separation from England was the very last thing they wanted.

 Most people think it was about the high taxes and in part that's true, but it was much more than that. I will leave it to you to go and read the documents leading up to the Declaration of Independence for all the colonists complaints against the King. The colonists knew that while they were heavily taxed that they were not as heavily taxed as those back in England. The problem had less to do with cost and more to do with what was being taxed, everything except air and water. The Colonists felt that the King was being neglectful and unreasonable, the King responded with military occupation and an additional military tax to pay for the occupation. The King went from neglectful to outright abusive in their view. The King intentionally misinformed the Colonial Delegate of when Parliament was being held ( a 3 month journey to get there) and when they arrived they sent him home with more taxation without having the chance to make their case.

The Declaration of Independence was a plea to peacefully let the colonies go if the King was no longer interested in properly governing them. The last thing they wanted and they were still open to finding a peaceful means to working out the differences. They were after all Englishmen. The King responded to this by going to war, a position that our forefathers didn't think they would be in and they didn't think they would win it. Which is why they took so long to establish a new government, they had a what now moment. The Revolutionary/Independence War was never the intention, it was the consequence.