The Royals

Andy Steele
As a Brit I am slightly amused by your comment that America's taxpayers would never entertain paying for a luxurios lifestyle for one family!
The Royal gravy train is paid back tenfold, by Americans, and others visiting the UK, by the goodwill visits to foreign countries generating business for UK companies and our Royals do pay income tax on their private incomes.
I have one question. How much does the President and his family cost? How many planes at his disposal? How many cars are available to him and his family? How much does their security cost? How much is his pension after his term(s) are finished?
The one thing about the Queen is that people of ALL political persuasion can support her, uniting the people of our country.

Re: The Royals

postrophe
Well said, Sir!

Re: The Royals

Zella
Dear Andy, I am afraid I may not have expressed my sentiment well.  I adore your Queen, and I think she definitely "earns her keep."  Indeed, I think America, with it's current form of virulent, partisan politics, could benefit greatly by having a monarch that we might all rally around.  (That sounds lovely!)  But, alas, that's wishful thinking on my part.  Our Congress has trouble approving any budgets nowadays, and would, seemingly, rather see our government shut down than to compromise.  So the idea of our peevish politicians allowing so much as a new tea cup for a Queen seems far-fetched these days.  Sad, that!

Re: The Royals

Oldgit
Speaking of the Royals, has anyone ever heard of Sandringham Time?  Sandringham time is the name given to the alterations that King Edward VII made to the timekeeping at the royal estate of Sandringham. This time corresponds to Greenwich Mean Time +0:30 mins, and was used between the years 1901 to 1936. The idea was to "create" more evening daylight for hunting in the winter.  The clock at Wolferton Station in Norfolk (where the Royals used to alight for the journey to Sandringham House) is still set at this time,  It is now a museum. I used to live nearby and shoot on the estate with the gamekeepers.

Re: The Royals

MSinclair
"Sandringham time" - I read somewhere, I forget where.  That there was a vicious rumour that it came about from a certain royal always being late.  If true that would have been superb!  Alas not though, it was indeed for the aid of hunting.

Re: The Royals

Zella
Administrator
Dennis - No, I've not heard of Sandringham Time.  How fascinating!  If you ever want to write a guest blog posting about that topic, let me know!

Re: The Royals

Sven
Not to mention many of The Royals have there own jobs and estates which generate revenue to there upkeep. Also Her Majesty is not required to pay taxes however Her Majesty volunarily does so. The total of which to help maintain The Royals is equivalent to around £0.60GBP ir $1.00USD for every man woman and child in the U.K. a year.

Re: The Royals

Londonmastermason
I was born and brought up in central London, I am now a master stonemason and produce work that is sent all over the world. I believe if it had not been for the royal connection to London and Britain as a whole I with many other craftspeople would not have had the opportunity to train and continue in my craft.

Whether you like it or not fine craftsmanship is learnt working at the highest levels, this expertise is then pasted down to lower cost projects.

I don't know the figures but there are many people producing high quality work bringing in revenue to the country with the foundation of their learning coming from, in my area at least the restoration period.  I don't think I would have had the chance to have been trained in the traditions of my craft in a modern Republic formed many years ago by Cromwell.

Re: The Royals

Martine
Good evening,I am reading in english "at home with the Queen" and it´s
wonderful everything seems so perfect,unfortunately we have a French president and you CAN be proud to be British´
Martine

Re: The Royals

Zella
Administrator
That's an interesting point, MSM.  The large cathedral in NYC, St. John's the Divine, was having stone work done, and I heard they had to import master masons from England and Europe.

Re: The Royals

Rachel
As someone English, I feel that it has to be pointed out that pretty much no one in the UK actually likes the royal family! Only a small percentage do, and why would they? Right wing and snobby- the rest of the country doesn't appreciate the patronisation. Yes, there are a few who like them, but most don't. The fact is that it's mostly non-British people who like the Queen (The Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish most certainly do not) so whenever I see people mention the royal family and public love it always makes me laugh! Everyone I know was over the moon at the royal wedding- a day off!

Re: The Royals

Steve
Rachel. You seem to be expressing a very narrow view here and one wonders what has brought on this jaded approach. True you may have no personal feelings for the Royal family which is your right and choice but feel your possible taking it a little far by claiming it as a majority view as on the whole public opinion would seem to show otherwise. There was a dip about twenty years ago around the time of Diana death and for while after but recent national polls have shown an upturn in the general public’s especially the younger generations attitude to the Royal family.
        Thank god that like America we still have a freedom of speech and good on you for exercising it but please keep it just to your opinion s and views and don’t assume you have the right to represent mine or any one else’s.
     Oh and before you come back and claim I must be an upper class snob I drive a truck for a living sleeping in the cab all week and live on a council estate. Regards Steve

Re: The Royals

Peter Rudd
Well said, Sir!

Re: The Royals

Alan
You certainly do not speak for me or any of my friends. As I understand it, most people have great respect for the Queen, and, as for her politics, no one knows what they are, because she never expresses an opinion in public. Yes, she is very rich, but that doesn't count for anything, not all rich people are Conservatives.