Where would you go/What would you do in England?

Where would you go/What would you do in England?

India
Hi,

I am English and live in England (Lancashire) and don't take advantage of this country at all, but wish that I would.

I'd like to know, from an outside perspective, what people consider to be the best things to do in England, and what they would love most to do, if they had the opportunities that I do, living in the country?

It's strange that people tend to take the values of their own country for granted, and that most non-English people who frequent this website probably know more about the country that I live in than I do!

Any suggestions are welcome, living in the north of England, though, local suggestions would be more of an advantage.

Thanks :)

Re: Where would you go/What would you do in England?

Zella
Administrator
Greetings, fellow Anglophile!  Speaking as an outsider to your country.....  I generally want to visit places in England (well, all of the UK) that I've heard of and that intrigue me, and I typically hear of specific places by watching British TV and British movies--and reading British literature.  So places where Dickens, C.S. Lewis, Austen, Shakespeare, et al were born or worked or died appeal to me.  Legendary places appeal too: from Liverpool to Nottingham.  Yorkshire, Greenwich.  I'm sure it's the same way with visitors to the US--they tend to visit NYC, LA, Miami, and other "big names."  Many other places that are small are certainly worthy of visiting, but people bypass them either because they don't know of them or feel they'll get "more bang for their tourist buck" by visiting a well-known place.  If you know of any interesting spots in your north country that are off the beaten track, I do hope you'll let us know!