his back late last

zzkzhang
ST. PETERSBURG Nick Perry Jersey , Fla. — The Tampa Bay Rays might be the surprise hottest team in baseball, and if anything can slow them down, it might be Washington Nationals starter Max Scherzer, who takes the mound against them Tuesday.

The Rays have been dominant of late, with seven wins holding opponents to one or zero runs in the last 13 games, and four wins in a row after a 11-0 drubbing of the Nationals on Monday. Tampa Bay didn’t hold an opponent under two runs once in its first 19 games and just once in its first 38, but their patchwork pitching has been a major impetus to their recent surge.

Then there’s Scherzer, who is 10-3 with a 2.09 ERA, this despite a near-mortal stretch where he has no wins in his last three outings, having allowed all of six earned runs in 20 innings during that stretch. The Rays remember him well from June 5, when he struck out 13 batters — matching his second-highest total of 2018 — while allowing two earned runs in eight innings. He’s had 16 starts this season, and he’s only allowed more than two runs once, and only four in that blemish.

For his career against the Rays Troy Aikman Jersey , he’s 5-2 with a 2.82 ERA, and even that is notable in that he went 0-2 as a rookie in 2010 and hasn’t lost since. For the season, just slightly less than half his outs have come by strikeout, with 161 strikeouts in 107 2/3 innings.

The Rays will counter with Nathan Eovaldi (1-3, 4.91 ERA), who has made five starts since returning from Tommy John surgery, with one dominant debut and then four starts since where he’s averaged four earned runs in less than six innings. More of a concern is the home runs he’s allowed — eight in 29 1/3 innings, including four in his last start, a 5-1 loss to Houston.

He’s faced the Nationals once this year, giving up four runs on four hits in five innings in the game against Scherzer on June 5. Eovaldi got his start in the National League, so he’s had 10 starts against Washington, going 2-5 with a 5.30 ERA.

An 11-run outburst like Monday’s win shows the Rays might be finding their bats as well, with Kevin Kiermaier http://www.washingtonredskinsteamonline.com/adrian-peterson-jersey , struggling at the plate since returning from the disabled list, getting a key grand slam as part of a six-run second inning.

“Baseball is hard. It’s really hard,” Kiermaier said of his slow start. “Adjusting back to big-league pitching is not an easy thing. Trying to get acclimated up there at the plate again. I felt really good and it was a good momentum swing for our team to put us up early.”

The Nationals will at least be better rested on Tuesday — after a long rain delay that pushed back their Sunday night game against Philadelphia, they didn’t get to their hotel in St. Petersburg until 4:40 a.m. on game day.

“We’re a little tired, but we had all day to rest,” Nationals manager Davey Martinez said.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Even after everything J.J. Watt has accomplished in football, he still relished the chance to walk on — and off — the field for his first game action since breaking his leg.

Todd Gurley, Jared Goff and the rest of the Los Angeles Rams‘ offense won’t get any action at all in this preseason, but they insist they’ll still be ready for the games that count.

Rookie John Kelly rushed for 64 yards and two touchdowns, and the Rams briefly debuted their new defensive stars in a 21-20 preseason victory over Watt and the Houston Texans on Saturday.

Watt started and made a tackle roughly 10 1/2 months after he got hurt in the Texans’ fifth game last season. The chance to catch up with former defensive coordinator Wade Phillips was just a bonus on an exciting day for the veteran superstar.

“I liked that I came off (the field) under my own power,” Watt said with a grin. “It’s football. It’s where I feel the most natural. It’s where I feel at home.”

Houston’s first-team defense looked sharp, but the Rams’ backup offensive players put together enough points to win it. Watt and Jadeveon Clowney were long finished by the time Nick Rose missed a 57-yard field goal at the gun in the Texans’ first loss of the preseason.

“I mean, they didn’t have Todd Gurley out there Jack Doyle Jersey , or Jared Goff,” Watt said. “But we flew around. We had fun. We did what we’re supposed to do. We had three series and held them to 2 yards, and we got a pick. We’ll take that. That’s what we expect to do with their offensive all-stars sitting out.”

The Texans were thrilled to see Watt looking healthy and happy.

“He’s really worked hard to get back to where he’s at right now,” Houston coach Bill O’Brien said. “I think he’s playing at a real high level, from what we’ve seen every single day. From what I could see today, the first-team defense went out there and did a nice job.”

Watt is a three-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year, but he didn’t get to see the current holder of the award. Aaron Donald is still deep in his second consecutive contract holdout from the Rams.

Los Angeles’ first-team defense also excelled despite Donald’s continued absence. Ndamukong Suh and cornerbacks Marcus Peters and Aqib Talib all got their first action with the Rams early in the first quarter, and Suh managed to hit Deshaun Watson as the quarterback uncorked a long throw that was intercepted by Lamarcus Joyner on the Texans’ second series.

But the Rams rested 10 of their presumptive offensive starters for the third straight week, keeping the wraps on the team that led the NFL in scoring last season. The decision all but ensures Gurley and Goff will go into the regular season without taking a snap in a preseason game.

“When you balance the risk/reward, we felt like as a coaching staff this was going to be the best thing for us,” Rams coach Sean McVay said. “You do have 10 of 11 starters returning (from last season). You don’t take anything for granted … (but) this is what we felt like is best for our football team. Might not be for everybody. Might be disagreements, but this is what we talked about as a coaching staff, and this is the decision we made.”

Alfred Blue rushed for an early score for Houston http://www.chicagobearsteamonline.com/devin-hester-jersey , and Braxton Miller caught a TD pass from Brandon Weeden, who went 10 of 17 for 108 yards with an interception after Watson’s brief action. Quan Bray caught a 3-yard touchdown pass from Joe Webb with 5:54 to play for the Texans, but Ejuan Price sacked Webb on the ensuing 2-point conversion attempt.

Rose’s last-second kick was his second missed field goal as the Texans wait for Ka’imi Fairbairn to get healthy.

MANNION’S TURN

Pharoh Cooper caught a TD pass from Sean Mannion, who bounced back from an 0-for-5 start with a bad interception to Kareem Jackson. Mannion finished the first half with 10 consecutive completions, but he has been inconsistent in the preseason, raising some concern about the Rams’ backup situation behind Goff.

ROOKIE RUNNER

Kelly, the Rams’ sixth-round pick from Tennessee, continued his breakout preseason in Gurley’s absence with another impressive game. He finished Los Angeles’ 19-play drive that consumed 12:06 of the third quarter with a spinning 15-yard TD run.

SAM’S STEPS

Sam Shields made an interception in the veteran cornerback’s next huge step in his comeback from multiple concussions. Shields missed most of the past two seasons and was dropped by the Green Bay Packers during his laborious return from at least four recorded concussions. He picked off Weeden’s pass late in the first quarter and returned it 13 yards before celebrating on the sideline with teammates who understood the importance of the moment.

ANTHEM UPDATE

There were no apparent protests during the national anthem.

INJURIES

Texans: WR Will Fuller sat out with a minor hamstring injury. … LB Ben Heeney left the field on a cart during the first half. He has been fighting injuries in training camp.

Rams: DL Ethan Westbrooks had a strong first half before getting shaken up on a play shortly before halftime. He went to the locker room early. … LB Matt Longacre completed his long comeback from injury by starting for Los Angeles. He hurt his back late last season and then struggled with a biceps injury in training camp.

UP NEXT

Texans: Finish the preseason at home against the Dallas Cowboys on Thursday.

Rams: Finish the preseason at the New Orleans Saints on Thursday.

 Authentic Womens Durham Smythe Jersey