pitches the finale of

zzkzhang
The Dallas Cowboys want a do-over on hosting the Super Bowl after horrid weather and a seating fiasco ruined their first try seven years ago.

While the wait will easily be more than a decade and with no indication the big game is coming back soon Ryan Kelly Jersey , last weekend’s draft at least showed the NFL that what is becoming its spring Super Bowl went off without a hitch in North Texas.

”Obviously we’ve got a little chip on our shoulder about that one because we had a snowstorm and it didn’t go perfect,” executive vice president Stephen Jones said last week, referring to the 2011 title game.

”There’s a big school of thought in the league that these things should go to kind of vacational-type spots, South Florida and Southern California and Phoenix and New Orleans. I get that. We’d still like a redo there.”

The Cowboys hosted the first draft in an NFL stadium, and the league said about 100,000 people showed up in and around AT&T Stadium in Arlington, halfway between Dallas and Fort Worth, for the first round Thursday night.

Crowd size was limited by the league to about 20,000 indoors, using just one end of the 80,000-seat stadium with a retractable roof, which was closed. The largest screens of the giant video board that hangs over the center of the field were mostly out of view.

The theater setup is still preferred by the NFL for an event that spent many years at Radio City Music Hall in New York before back-to-back drafts in Chicago and last year’s popular stop in Philadelphia on the steps of the art museum in front of the Rocky statue.

This larger venue allowed officials to try something they’d been thinking about for a while. Groups of seats designated for fans of each team on the field in front of the stage were a hit. The idea derived from political conventions fed what officials thought was an energetic setting.

”It exceeded our expectations in terms of the energy down here,” said Peter O’Reilly, who oversees special events for the NFL. ”It’s been a terrific event for us as the draft continues to evolve.”

As always Ziggy Hood Jersey , the Cowboys were worried about the weather. It was just about perfect, unlike the unprecedented ice storm that paralyzed the Dallas area most of the week before the Super Bowl. Of course, that was in midwinter.

On top of that, about 400 fans ended up without a place to sit when roughly 1,250 seats in temporary bleachers were declared unsafe hours before kickoff in Green Bay’s 31-25 victory over Pittsburgh.

A lawsuit faulted Jerry Jones for trying to break the Super Bowl attendance record of 103,985 (it fell 766 short), and the outspoken Cowboys owner was forced to testify in federal court.

There was no such drama this time, and the draft accomplished what the Cowboys wanted: treating their fans while showcasing Texas as one of football’s cradles.

”It’s understated even, as big as it is, how much the fans love the draft and love the drama and uncertainty that goes with it,” Stephen Jones said. ”For our fans to be able to touch it and go out there and see what it’s all about and see this firsthand … this is football country.”

Stephen Jones doesn’t expect the draft to come back soon because the idea now is to move it annually. O’Reilly isn’t sure it will be in a stadium again because each city has ideas about how to make the draft unique.

Super Bowls have been awarded through the 2021 season , including two with new stadiums (Atlanta, Los Angeles) and another with a renovated one (Miami, which will get its record 11th title game).

But the Cowboys have this much going for them: The NFL now has a fresher memory that has nothing to do with ice falling off the roof and hitting Super Bowl workers Marcedes Lewis Jersey , or fans getting crammed into standing-room areas when they were supposed to have a place to sit.

”We’re just thrilled with this week,” O’Reilly said. ”This draft certainly reflected really well on this market and its ability to put on major events.”

The rain was heavy and relentless. As the puddles grew deeper on the tarp at Nationals Park, the Baltimore Orioles were left to wonder if their bid for a rare road victory would be thwarted by, of all things, the weather.

During a season in which very little has worked in their favor, the Orioles withstood a long rain delay to beat the Washington Nationals 3-0 Wednesday night.

Baltimore led 2-0 after four innings when play was stopped. After a wait of 2 hours, 43 minutes, the game resumed with a few hundred fans from the announced crowd of 32,153 sprinkled around the lower seating bowl.

Mark Trumbo homered for Baltimore, and Andrew Cashner and four relievers combined on a five-hitter in a game that ended long after midnight.

”It was nice,” Trumbo said. ”I’m glad that we actually kept the game going. Had we not been able to, it might have been a wash. But it ended up being pretty big for us.”

Baltimore ended a six-game losing streak to Washington that began last May, won for only the fourth time in 20 games and improved the majors’ worst road record to 10-28.

This one was worth the wait.

”It’s never easy, especially when you get over the hour mark Rigoberto Sanchez Jersey , two-hour mark,” Trumbo said. ”Then you have to restart. It’s almost two games in one, so, great job by our guys tonight.”

The Nationals managed only two hits following the delay, both in the ninth inning.

”It happens. You can’t do anything about the rain,” manager Dave Martinez said. ”You’ve got to come out and get yourself ready to play. I’m not going to make any excuses.”

The rain delay cut short a solid pitching performance by Cashner, who allowed three hits and no walks over four innings in his return from an 11-day stay on the disabled list with back spasms.

Miguel Castro (2-2) followed with two hitless innings, Darren O’Day pitched a perfect seventh and Zach Britton got four outs.

Brad Brach allowed the Nationals to load the bases with two outs in the ninth before striking out Mark Reynolds .

Trumbo hit a two-run homer in the second inning off Gio Gonzalez (6-4), and for a while it appeared the drive would be washed out by the rain.

”One pitch. That was the whole game,” Gonzalez lamented. ”That was it.”

Indeed, it all ended well for the Orioles, who added a run in the sixth when Adam Jones doubled off Shawn Kelley and scored on a sacrifice fly by Danny Valencia .

BRYCE STRUGGLES

Nationals OF Bryce Harper went 0 for 4, dropping his batting average to .209.

Martinez said Harper has been working hard with batting coach Kevin Long, and the manager expects the five-time All-Star to end his prolonged slump with a flourish.

”He’s going to hit. I know he’s going to carry us for a month or two or for whatever http://www.buffalobillsteamonline.com/corey-bojorquez-jersey ,” Martinez said.

WAITING FOR DAVIS

Now in the third year of a seven-year, $161 million contract, Baltimore’s Chris Davis is batting .150 with four homers and 15 RBIs in 57 games. He last played on June 11, when he went 0 for 5 with three strikeouts against Boston.

Since then, Davis has been working on his swing and improving his mental outlook. His return appears imminent.

”A couple of days,” manager Buck Showalter said. ”We’re pretty close to it.”

OH, BROTHER

With Cashner coming off the DL, the Orioles optioned infielder Corban Joseph to Double-A Bowie. That ended the 24-hour, feel-good story of Corban and catcher Caleb Joseph as brothers on the same team.

TRAINER’S ROOM

Orioles: 3B Tim Beckham (core surgery) went 1 for 4 with 3 strikeouts in a rehab game with Triple-A Norfolk. … RHP Chris Tillman (back) began his rehab assignment by giving up three runs in two innings for Class A Aberdeen.

Nationals: Martinez said patience is the key in awaiting the return of RHP Stephen Strasburg (shoulder). ”We’re really going to take our time and make sure he’s 100 percent,” the manager said. … 1B Ryan Zimmerman (oblique) is taking grounders and some swings. … C Matt Wieters (oblique) caught in the bullpen but is not yet running at full speed.

UP NEXT

Orioles: Kevin Gausman (3-6, 4.48 ERA) pitches the finale of the three-game series Wednesday night.

Nationals: Max Scherzer (10-3, 2.06) tries to avoid his first three-game losing streak since August 2015.

 Womens Derrius Guice Jersey